fbpx
Looking for gift options for kids who don't need (or want) more toys? Check out these gift alternatives guaranteed to bring the smiles!

Gift Alternatives for Kids & Families who Live a Minimalist Lifestyle

This post contains affiliate links. This means if you make a purchase through a link I provide that I may be compensated. This does not change the price for you and I only recommend products and services that I believe in and trust.

After telling your family that you don’t want anyone to buy your kid’s gifts anymore they will probably go on to ask what alternatives they are allowed to get.

Looking for gift options for kids who don't need (or want) more toys?  Check out these gift alternatives guaranteed to bring the smiles!

Gift-giving can be fun and it’s a way that many people show love, so taking that away from them would be hard.  Giving them alternatives lets them still show love in their own way and also gets you out of having to deal with the overwhelm and clutter that comes out of getting too many gifts.

Experience Gifts

Experience gifts can be anything!  They can be classes, events, shows, or activities.

1. Painting Class
  10. Dance or Gymnastic Lessons
  11. Karate
  12. Sporting Events Tickets
  13. Ice Skating
  14. Zip lining

Memberships

Membership gifts are an awesome alternative to physical gifts because they are a gift that keeps on giving all year long.

1. Zoo
  2. Aquarium
  3. Children’s Museum
  4. Theme Park
  5. Trampoline Park
  6. Local Attractions
  7. Botanical Gardens
  8. Science Museums

Consumables and Personal Care

These are things that you kids are going to use anyways.

1. Hair Care
  2. Bathing Items
  3. Bath Bombs
  4. Bath Crayons
  5. Nail Polish
  6. Foods

Creative Gifts

Technically these would be physical items but I think they are okay since they are hands-on, creative kinds of gifts.  These would be things like art sets, or something that your child can create with.

We Craft Box

We Craft Box delivers a stress-free creative experience to your family’s doorstep every month! With 2-3 prepared crafts, unique theme and story, easy-to-follow photo directions and all the materials needed that can be shared between 2 children we are empowering busy families to easily unplug from the screen and connect through creativity! Give the gift of creativity – after all, with we craft box, it’s the gift that helps families craft connect, and created together.

Orange Art Box

Orange Art Box is a fun Art Subscription Box for Kids. Our boxes are packed with art supplies, project ideas, and tons of inspiration. We recommend for ages 5-10 and have many families that share a box.

Orange Art Box - Subscribe Now

Subscription boxes

I'm a sucker for subscription boxes.  I really just love getting surprises in the mail.

Toddler Play Kits by Lovevery

Baketivity Subscription Box

Baketivity is a baking subscription box for kids, it includes all pre-measured ingredients, clear step by step illustrated instructions, and various educational lessons.

In today's days with technology increasing and kids are becoming more and more addicted to their phones, video games, and television while spending less and less time interacting and enjoying quality family time. The goal behind Baketivity is to give parents a way to connect and spend more time interacting with their kids.

Owl Post Books

Owl Post Books is a fun and interactive monthly book subscription for children! They have Imagination Boxes and Book of the Month Subscriptions for ages 0-3, 4-7, 8-11, and YA. They also provide YA Artist and Writer subscriptions for teenagers.

Bookaroo Box

Bookroo's mission is to enable and empower parents to build their children's book collections in an affordable and exciting way through curated monthly book deliveries. They believe in the power and impact of the written word in the life of a child, and believe it’s never too early to start reading to children! Book boxes are geared for ages 0-10.

Curated books kids love!

Magazine Subscriptions

I don’t really see many people requesting magazine subscriptions anymore but I loved these as a kid!  Printed media is much better for children to consume then digital media so a magazine subscription might be perfect for kids who are old enough to read.  Plus kids magazines are so inexpensive!

Want Even More Alternative Gift Ideas?

Get weekly tips on simplifying your life, everything from parenting to mental health! The KIDS CLUTTER BUNDLE is our FREE GIFT to get you started simplifying today!

Kids Clutter Bundle Includes:

• Ditching the Toys - Guide & Checklist
  • Kids Paper Clutter - Getting Organized
  • Minimal Kids Wardrobe - Staples & Favorites
Hidden Content
Get Rid of The Toys – Infinite Benefits For Children

Pin For Later

18 Comments

• Meg November 17, 2020 at 12:40 pm

These are such good ideas!! Thanks for sharing!!

• Mary November 17, 2020 at 3:44 pm

I love experience gifts. My parents got my husband and I a 2 night getaway as a gift one year. It meant so much to us! If I had kids I would love the arts & crafts boxes.

• Michele November 17, 2020 at 4:03 pm

I love this list. Since becoming a step-parent I have enjoyed giving my step-daughter experiences rather than toys or things she will grow out of quickly. I think it’s because my mom only gave me toys growing up and we rarely went and did something as a family. I would rather my step-daughter have stories to tell her friends about places we have been, fun family trips that toys just can’t compare to.

• TheGracefulOlive November 18, 2020 at 4:14 pm

I feel the same! We travel A LOT with our kids and we def. view experiences as a priority over things

• siennylovesdrawing November 17, 2020 at 10:19 pm

really love the gift ideas shared here, learnt that classes (perhaps virtual classes) could be a good gift now. thanks for this. cheers, siennylovesdrawing

• Eric Gamble November 17, 2020 at 11:35 pm

Love all of these gift alternatives for kids! In particular, I love all the different classes and experiences you recommend! What better gift than to give your kid an experience that they will remember for the rest of their life!

• knycx journeying November 18, 2020 at 3:45 am

Great ideas that we don’t need fancy and complicated gifts to celebrate the holidays, I think self-made and simple gifts are just as personal and warm for kids and family. – knycx Journeying

• Rochelle November 18, 2020 at 8:51 pm

I love there ideas, so creative and they are mostly centered around experience instead of physical and tangible items

• Britt November 18, 2020 at 4:15 am

Oh yeah!!! Love all these creative gifts for yourself or for others!!!

• Mayuri November 18, 2020 at 6:59 am

These are such unique and great gift ideas for any occasion. Subscription boxes and pottery classes looks like a great option to present this season.

• Minal Khachane November 18, 2020 at 8:22 am

Wow really loved this ideas.we craft box and orange craft box looks interesting.Thanks for sharing.

• Minal Khachane November 18, 2020 at 8:24 am

Wow really loved this ideas.we craft box and orange craft box looks interesting.Also never heard about Baketivity subscription box.I am sure I am gonaa try few of this ideas ..Thanks for sharing

• TheGracefulOlive November 18, 2020 at 4:11 pm

I just love subscription boxes because they are a gift that keeps on giving month after month

• Denise November 18, 2020 at 9:50 am

I love the idea of the Baketivity subscription and membership gifts! I think more than just the material/gift you’re giving, it’s also the memories you could create with them, not just on Christmas but everyday.

• TheGracefulOlive November 18, 2020 at 4:11 pm

Exactly! And if 2020 has taught me anything, it’s that making memories is the most important thing we can do with our kids

• Harish Joshi November 18, 2020 at 4:21 pm

Really great ideas & I think memberships are the best of all as it lasts so long.

• Moon Ray November 18, 2020 at 8:59 pm

Very practical ideas. it resembles my way of thinking.

• Pujarini November 19, 2020 at 1:50 pm

These are such practical, simple yet great ideas for gifting during the festive season.